Full of Stitches

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Midnight Knitter

I stayed up till after 7 this morning. I was on a hunt for a sweater pattern. I have some yummy 70% wool 30% silk yarn that is begging me to knit it.. but I'm a new knitter and am afraid. What if I mess up my yummy yarn? What if I don't like the design? Well, I like raglans, so I'm on the hunt for a simple raglan in DK/sport weight.. I'm thinking this may work: Knitting Pure & Simple #241 My yarn is a deep purple.

So, that brought me to the fact that I've only ever knitted socks.. Shouldn't I do a practice sweater or something and learn a few more knit stitches? So, I saw this one for TJ; I may not do the trains, there's this spider begging to be cabled.. I bought the book so that I could make a sweater for TJ with the spider. He will adore it!

Socking away at the needles. I made socks for Ben last week, just need to weave in loose ends and kitchenette the toes.. But, not until he tries them on to see if they fit, or if they're mine.

I tried out an afterthought-heel sock pattern for TJ, but the heels weren't given enough space. The next time I think I'll do the 2/3 ratio for the heel. I like that I can set the heel in the middle of a stripe and just match the color and have it continue. I think it looks nice. If I make a turned heel next time, then I'll just have to use a separate strand of thread to keep the continuity of the stripes.. Though they'll still be off because of the gusset decreases. Fitting is better than perfect stripes, right?

I took a break from the blue stripes yesterday and made about the world's ugliest sock (or at least a contender) for AJ so I could test the 2/3 vs 1/2 heel. I'll have to get a picture of the children's socks when I finish TJ's. I have a bunch of 'Magic Stripes' yarn for practice before I get the really good yarn (though, I really want to make TJ some flame socks! and maybe a NBaT with flames). The yarn that AJ picked is ugly! The stripes are random and where there's lots of colors it looks okay, but I started toe-up and it was pink-white-red/green-white and it was driving me nuts how little color there seemed! Finally the foot got more interesting. I added some fuzzy yarn that was on sale last week at Hobby Lobby and voila, half a pair of socks.. (Somebody's got second sock syndrome and only taught herself to knit last month!)

**note: AJ gave her ugly sock to her best friend and I never got a picture.. and it never got a mate**

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home