Full of Stitches

Sunday, September 17, 2006

SW Practice

Can you believe Sock Wars is already beginning *this coming Friday*!!!!! EEK! YarnMonkey called for a gauge of 22st/4in (5.5st/in) in DK weight yarn. Saturday morning, I dug through my sock patterns for anything close and came up with one pattern (I may have more, but stopped at the first one), and it was a reasonable practice sock!
20060916purpsok
Not only is it cute, but it fits my 2yo great! This is supposed to be an ornament, but I continued until I ran out of purple.. which means this sock has no mate :( Which means no points toward Summer of Socks :( (Judges, may I have 1/2 the child's size sock points?)
I've got some red DK and more of this black yarn, I'm thinking maybe I'll make her some snazzy Christmas socks, but I must work tomorrow to finish Ben's Flying Spaghetti Monsters (FSMs for short)... er, I mean ARRRRgyles.. Talk Like A Pirate Day is Tuesday!! Last night, I sewed in all those ends, seamed it -my first mattress stitch!!!- and worked the heel flap. This morning, I turned the heel and began the gussets. The mate is only a cuff. I still have to begin the colorwork.
20060917arrrrg
I think the black points are actually closer to matching than in the pic, but the sock is a little wonky - somebody didn't take the time to block (it'll be around his ankle anyway!), the white lines line up nicely.
Yesterday, I took some time at the park with Ben and the children. It's not the place for lots of loose balls (before the Arrrrg diamonds were done), so I took Sue's socks. She'd picked out Mineshaft in Lorna's Laces for her next pair and it took me some time to get gauge, but they make nice park knitting:
20060917gfsock
I see why they named it mineshaft! 9st/in attained this fascinating swirl thing. Wonder how far it'll continue, or if it'll pick up again after the heels/gussets.

Today, we went to the Pinnacles again. Had a much nicer hike - only like 4 hours instead of 5-6. That's 2-3 miles with 3 children. Ben's friend Jeremy and his camera joined us, so I may have pictures of that shortly. Knitting socks in the car makes Ben nervous (something about me or baby-to-be getting impaled with 4-5 thin needles if an accident occurs..), so I took some crochet. I'm working on a shawl, but don't have the pattern handy. I think I'll wait till it's bigger to get a picture because I'm really making it for the edging and I'm not there yet. The body is a triple-crossed dc stitch. Pattern called for 2 balls of Lorna's Laces and I thought, 'Oh, I've got that.' After it was started, I read the Lace weight bit.. I'm using sock yarn.. I hope 2 balls will make the body and the third ball -which has the same dyelot batch #, but is a darker color- will be the border.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home