Full of Stitches

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Dress From Indonesia

My Grandpa remarried a few years ago with a lovely lady from Indonesia. The children adore her and I missed seeing them this last trip south because they were in Indonesia again (they love to go back and forth as her children are living there). On a previous trip, they brought my sister Sue a simple dress. Well, Sue doesn't wear dresses unless she has a *really* good reason. She also doesn't want to let the dress go for naught in her closet, and she certainly doesn't want to lose the connection to family. So, she gave it to me, noting that it was very large overall and may need to be altered slightly but she has no clue how. And, after all, I'm in a time of life where a tent comes in handy.

20020822IndoTentDress
(sorry so blurry, flash didn't go off.. hmm.. I need to iron..)
20020822Indo Closeup

Gorgeous fabric! Nice placket on the front, it's just too big overall. My basic idea is to follow the lines of the placket and add 2 pleats that run over the shoulders to bring the armscyes up to where they belong. I'll release the pleats just over the belly, about equal to the placket. That will leave plenty of room for the growing belly and take out a few inches of excess fabric.
20020822Indo Pinned (just pinned)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home