Full of Stitches

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Of Pumpkins & Roses

TJ had me buy a pumpkin to make a bird feeder a week or so ago. It's been sitting on my counter as an extra paperweight since. So, on Monday or Tuesday, whilst awaiting my Sock Wars fate, I cut it up and steamed it. (Note: it's easiest to peel the pumpkin *after* it's been cooked) When it finished steaming, I skinned it and mashed it and put it in a container in the fridge. This morning, I was able to get to the store to buy more milk -we were out- and when I returned home I made Pumpkin Muffins:
20060927muffins (note to self: 2cups= ~16oz can)
There were a dozen to start, but the children and I ate them all up! They were so good!

Last week, I'd started on a 'sampler' from Ethnic Socks & Stockings by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Last night, I pulled the second one out again. I'd only finished to the row above adding waste yarn for the heel insert. I started looking around for my little ball of green that I'd been using and realized that it was the same yarn that I'd used in the green almost Sock Wars socks that I'd ended up finishing for Ben.

That pair had eaten up *all* the balls of Jo Sharp green that I'd had lying around. There was no more of that green!

I started looking around and found the Arrrrgyles. They were using a green yarn.. It wasn't far off the Jo Sharp! A bit more celery than sage, and smoother, but when it's just for the leaves, who's really going to take notice? I pulled out 2 lengths, folded each in half so that I could knit the 2 ankle motifs with doubled strands and got to work. Before going to bed, I had those leaves done and had begun the red for the flowers.

Today, I finished the sock legs and turned it inside out to weave in the majority of the ends. I found a tiny ball of the original green in there!!!! It was just enough to work the heel motif and tip! Now, I won't worry about them wearing out at different rates because they're worked in the same yarn. :) I did, however, forget in the mean time what I'd done to the first heel.. this time I followed the directions a tad bit better and it came out fine. I'd made the decreases on the heels 1 stitch away from the joins on the first, so I did the same on the second. But, I know I did the decreases in a weird order on the first sock to make it deeper.. Oh well.
20060927rosesocks
I'll have to get them on BB sometime, she does make that a challenge! We've been running around barefoot all summer and now that the mornings are cooler, socks are becoming required. Perhaps there's too much Aunt Sue in her and she just doesn't want to let the summer end!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home