Full of Stitches

Friday, September 15, 2006

Why Does Sue Love Me?

Because our feet are about the same size!
Tabi WW
I started making these socks with Cascade 220 (worsted weight) that I had sitting around. It's a nice dark gray, light gray tweed (? it's a 4ply with 2 plies in each color) that I lost the ballband to long ago.

I was just going along with the women's s-m size 'Starter Stockinette' in the book Knit Socks! when I decided to finally try them on at 7 inches past the heel (about 2-2.5 inches before the tips of the toes, right?). Well, they were loose and at my toes. Hmm.. well, Sue likes looser socks, and they'd be plenty warm in her flipflops, so I decided to split these as practice Tabi socks. I borrowed basic division from Lucia's blog and tried them on to see where I really wanted to divide. Well, across the tops, my toes are just under 3.5 inches. These are 48 stitch socks. I decided on 14 stitches for the big toe (7 from each needle on that side of the sock) and cast on just 3 extra sts between the toes. The yarn between the socks is all there is left! I wasn't sure when I started if I could make the toes the same color as the socks. Looks like I'll be fine! I just need to graft the toes, then I can finish knitting the big toes.

(later:)
To finish the big toes, I picked up the 3 stitches, plus 3 (1 on 1 side, 2 on the other) to make an even easily reducible number of stitches (20). Then I knit even in the round till my toe begins to taper in:
20060909tabitoe1
On each round after that, I decreased by 4 stitches until there were 4 left. Then I just sewed them shut and tada!
20060909tabitoe2Tabi Socks!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home