Full of Stitches

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Winter Garden

It's September, I'm in CA. What else is there to think of but planting?
20060905container1
My spring plants did mostly well. We lost the lettuce in the early summer, but I'll be excited to have some again this fall. The strawberries were mostly eaten right off the plant by the 2yo, but the plant is sending out shoots, so I'm looking forward to plenty of strawberries next year.
20060905container2
The crook-neck squash took over the sidewalk; the gardeners' mower trimmed the edge so we can walk again. We had an artichoke, but I think little hands broke the stem and it didn't produce a second flower. I replaced that with herbs. I had some old seeds from last year that I'd scattered on the ground. One lonely carrot has decided to grow.
20060905carrot

Now, I've got my eye on the corner area. I think it used to be a dog kennel or something, but became a trash heap. I'm going to try to coerce my husband away from his computer at some point to give me a hand with the big stuff. The whole gardening thing may be too 'outdoorsy' for his taste, so after that I'm on my own - with the 'help' of the children, of course!
20060905garden220060905garden1

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home