Full of Stitches

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Nigglings

37 weeks today. That's the minimum for a "full term" pregnancy.

We went to bed early last night. Ben's started going in quite early so he can be home with us in the afternoon. It's strange, but nice. But, BB hadn't gone to sleep, she and AJ were playing for a while in their bed. When BB came in to me, she woke me and, after getting her to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep. My belly was having some tightenings, my back is a touch sore this morning. This baby seems to want to stretch me more than I'd noticed with the others.. probably because I haven't gained much weight until this last trimester.

So, I sat up reading. The midwife has given me several books to read. Last night I was reading through Your Amazing Newborn (an informational book about what newborns are capable of, not a how-to book). They're finally letting Science allow parents to know that babies are real humans with brains and abilities! The book allows too much crying still, but many main-stream parents don't know how to keep that down. Maybe I could go into that a little?

-Have a healthy pregnancy: don't allow the growing belly to be an excuse to put just anything in your mouth! This is your baby, how do you want to feed him? How do you hope he'll eat as an adult?

-Have a gentle birth:
20040611birthbb Know your care provider and be *sure* s/he not only knows what you want, but will work with you! Doctors are trained for problems, so they often see something and respond medically (cuts, drugs). Midwives should be trained for natural birth, with some medical training for real problem situations. The midwife will hopefully suggest alternate solutions before jumping into the medical hoops. The more 'managed' a birth, the less 'gentle' it is for your body and baby -whether you can feel it or not!

-Don't let go of the baby: Between you and your husband, you have four hands and arms to keep that baby safe. It's fun to know what size your prize is, but it can wait at least an hour, or maybe a day! My third child wasn't weighed until she was 3 days old. By the time she was a couple weeks old, she would only fuss to be put down to bed.

-Take care of all needs before baby has to cry to get your attention!:
20030211benslingaj
Hold your baby. It seems so simple, so silly. I bought a sling when my second baby was 3 months old. I've heard the silliest phrase, "Isn't he too old for that?" when I suggest to other parents to sling their 1 year olds. Um, no, I sling mine until I just can't because I'm pregnant with the next! My third baby was in the sling from day 2 or 3, and still loves it! I just can't sling her for long because she's too heavy for my pregnant body!
20040607abcaj
Baby will root and suck fists to nurse (around 3-4 months, they start putting hands and other things in the mouth, do you want everything in that mouth? I take the time at this point to nurse each and every time I see that hand or toy go to the mouth. Baby learns that the mouth is for eating/drinking and I have very rare issues with objects in the mouth in a toddler -usually just when teething then).
Potty your baby, or at least change each and every wet or soiled diaper!
20041027pottybb
Use cloth to make it easier to know! Don't make him go through the night, unless you want a night-wetting older child! By the time my babies are 9-12 months, they can make it through the night dry. Babies grunt when they need to go potty. My second taught me at 5.5 months that she knew what was happening and just needed a hand getting to the toilet. My third taught me that they make a couple distinct sounds that relay which they need to do!
Sleep with the baby. At least have the crib/cradle/cot/bassinet where you can reach it at night! Baby will let you get more sleep if you learn to nurse lying down. If you want to get more sleep, then put off the next pregnancy by nursing your baby during the night.
Start using ASL at birth (milk, change diaper, toilet/potty, sleep/sleepy, . I started at 3 months with my second baby and she was signing at 5.5 months! It didn't look exactly like what I was doing, but it was understandable. There are so many that you can choose, but those will get you started. I prefer the signs that are high up, around the face or upper chest because babies focus on the face. As baby gets older, we add more area for the signs (which is why I generally sign change, but not diaper).

A baby is relatively simple to care for. S/he will just take a lot of *time.* The Good Lord gave a woman two breasts, two arms, and lots of love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home