Full of Stitches

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Chili

I'm trying to live within my budget. I used to be pretty good at it, or so I thought, but we took a rather long break from having a strict budget. So, now I've got a week and I've spent nearly my last dollar. In the pantry are lots of cans of beans...

Chili seems easy enough, I stood for a moment looking at titles when Potpies seemed like the best cookbook. Sure enough, a recipe for chili (p. 122) with a cornbread topping. At my feet was a crying baby..

TJ wasn't feeling like entertaining Little Guy, so I asked him to make dinner. I explained the difference of instructions since we had canned and the recipe called for dried, and took the stroller to the store to pick up the bell pepper. Everything else we had, or so I thought.



When I returned, he had a pot of spiced beans and tomatoes simmering. I sliced up the onions and bell pepper and talked him through sautéing. Then I hunted for the cornmeal. We're out of cornmeal? I used it recently for dumplings.. But, we're out. And I have quinoa. Hehe, we subbed the quinoa for the cornmeal and I was a little concerned it wouldn't breadify.

35 minutes later, a strangely colored, but tasty quinoa bread topping rose from the chili. It was a little chewier than the cornbread, but very tasty. And frugal.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home