Full of Stitches

Friday, August 06, 2010

Forgiveness

I was reading an article aloud yesterday about divorce from Above Rubies. The article pointed to the scripture where Jesus likens a man remarrying after divorce to adultery. My oldest daughter, MissA, asked me about TJ's father, concerned that he may have committed adultery. What a sweet heart she has! I didn't tell her the details of my divorce, just the obvious: he left, chose not to work on it, and I have no idea if he has remarried. And, I do forgive him his mistakes and what I thought to be trespasses against me. After all, how could one be unforgiving to the person God used to give such a sweet child as my TJ? I do hope he forgave me my pride (our last conversation all those years ago was civil).

I've learned much since then. I know that His grace is sufficient for me, and I could have extended that grace no matter the grievance. I was tired of the arguing, tired of the accusations that didn't hold water. I bailed in the end, when in my weakness He could have been my strength.

Even so, the Good Lord has forgiven me and given me another chance. Before we wed, Ben and I decided that we would not divorce. No matter if we "drift apart" (a cop out for lack of taking the effort any more), or if we are kept apart - we've had years of being apart, sometimes a few days, the longest was nearly 5 months.

Marriage is not something to enter lightly. It is a commitment, a sacred vessel of the Lord Almighty to ensure a godly offspring.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home