Full of Stitches

Saturday, November 20, 2010

C25K



We've had foot injuries, aches, colds & flu. Finally, after a couple healthy weeks, Ben & I started the Couch to 5K this past Monday.
The last time we had tried running, we were going his pace. My shins and ankles, then my heel started hurting. I tried forefoot planting, but the shoes were stiff and I'd soon be landing on my heels.

This week, the pace was slower. We didn't run as long (love the timer on the c25k app), but Wednesday, the shins hurt. Sharp pains. Friday, they weren't as bad, but they still hurt.

When we bought the VFFs today (Vibram Five Fingers: toe shoes), I put them on in the car & just wore them. I'm almost always barefoot at home, so they felt almost natural.. The pinky toe takes a little getting used to.

After dinner, I requested a run. We headed out and I concentrated on stepping onto the ball of my foot. My calves began to ache! Running became the break, it's the natural way to run, but to walk without planting my heel first took effort. (I've realized that I started heel-planting since the Little Guy was born -he was such a big baby, it seemed more comfortable)

We did about half of Day 3 when Ben called it quits. He doesn't usually go sans shoes like me. He puts on the shoes in the AM, heads to work, returns home, then takes them off. He'd commented on how much he could feel through the sole, then his feet grew sore. All told it was probably just under the recommended five minutes of running to start off with, and there's so many nerve endings in the feet, they do a good job of getting a body off them before they're injured.

We got home, looking forwards to an early bedtime, and stretched -oh! my calves! Then Little Guy started throwing up. He hasn't thrown up in at least a half hour now, so I'm off to sleep.. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home