Full of Stitches

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Aprons Ahoy!

What happens when a borderline Obsessive Compulsive gets a notion in her head at midnight? Around here that usually means she doesn't get much sleep.

Sunday evening, I was able to catch a nice nap. Refreshed, I checked my email which led me to the Tie One On page. I was inspired, to say the least. I've been tossing around the idea of making an apron for ages! I really like the idea of having one for each child to contain the baking/cooking messes to the kitchen zone. Last year, I'd made one for TJ (on which he still would like a pocket added) and one for myself which I ended up giving to a friend. I still didn't have one for myself, let alone the girls.
20060829bbapron2
Sunday night, I cut and sewed an apron for BB (Butterick 3540, copyright 2002). I was trying to be practical, she's the youngest thus far and we won't know for another 5 months if this next is a boy or girl, so I tried to keep it simple. I went through my fabric stash and found the scraps from nephew J's overalls that I'd made for his birthday last year (wish I had a pic, hey Mom!! I need an image). I didn't have enough to make the stripes be vertical, so horizontal they are. I also had some scraps from my grey skirt. So, BB's apron is 2 layers of twill.. it may be a bit warm in the hotter months, but there's already a touch of autumn in the air here. The apron is also reversible!
20060829bbapron1
Yesterday, I cut out the apron for AJ -and one for me! I have some quilting fabric that I seriously wonder what was in my head when I bought it.. ("Oh, that would make a cute shirt for TJ" comes to mind, but this fabric seems much too young for him now). So, the cowboys and some of that grey skirt fabric are together. I didn't have a similar apron pattern, so I used an A-line nightgown pattern and winged it. Other than the neckline being too wide, it's fine. She just needs a pocket.
20060829ajapron1
My apron (Simplicity 5323, copyright 1981) actually used to be a costume. I made it a few years ago when I was in CO and worked at a grocery store. We could dress up for All Hallow's Eve if we wanted, so I would (I'd just be something pretty, not scary). I think I may have worn it once more, but it's just been following me around for years. The flowers are a bit much, so I used them to line the bib and make the ties and waistband. The "pocket" openings are where the gathers are - anything I put in there will be at the bottom of the apron! I may have to fix that.
When I put on the apron, it hung around my hips. That's too long for my taste, so I took in the bib strap a little. Then I considered the belly issue and took up the bottom of the bib. I really like it like this!
20060829myapron
All these aprons seem to inspire others, too. TJ made french toast at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!
20060829tjfrenchtoast
I also finished the blue maternity skirts from Friday, but pics were poor quality in the mirror.. And since they're dark blue, it's hard to tell what I'm showing. Will make a post of them when I get better images.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home