Full of Stitches

Sunday, August 27, 2006

New Duds

Problem: Wardrobe Crisis.
Solution 1: New Outfit:
20060822Skirt&Top1
Saturday morning, BB and I were the only ones awake. She and I went out to breakfast and to the fabric store. I bought one piece of fabric (a border print rayon - watch this space for eventual usage) and the elastic needed for the 2 trial skirts I made Friday. Also, the Butterick patterns were on for 99 cents, so I picked up a yoked skirt pattern.

When I had a few moments, I went through my fabric for a floral rayon that I'd purchased last year. I'd cut into it to make a dress, but had failed some basic math so that dress had never been. I no longer can find the skirt from the old dress, but did have enough yardage for the new skirt. And, I did find that other length of elastic I knew I had somewhere!

I also happened to have a matching knit fabric. In order to make the skirt belly-friendly, I wanted to use the knit for a stretchier yoke. The shape of the yoke also changed due to the dynamics of a pregnant belly. I used a smaller yoke size and larger skirt to make it a pull-on and instead of using the curved shape to the yoke, made it into 2 rectangles. The front rectangle is curved at the top to follow the belly curve when it grows more. For now, I fold it down for an under-the-bump skirt.

20060822Skirt220060827Skirt1
Because of the wearing angle of the panel, the skirt front was shortened about 4-5 inches to even out with the back hem. If you choose to make this skirt 2 options are to a)keep a body double around at a good height/angle for matching your posture so you can hem it, or b)have your sweet spouse get on the floor and measure/pin that hem at the last minute so you can quickly serge in a hem before running out the door.

For the shirt, I have a knit dress pattern that I'd bought at least 5 years ago (so, OOP). It also happens to be a Butterick, #6817. The dress is either midknee or 'above ankle' with boat neck raglan shaping. There's also a collar which I didn't have time to attach this morning (sleepy foggy brain had me cut out just the front piece and sew them together and sit there wondering where the collar facing it asked for was when the piece only said to cut 2- so I didn't have time to recut that piece plus the back collar before we headed out the door this morning). I hadn't known how long to make the shirt, so I just chopped off the dress at the adjustment line and haven't hemmed it yet. I like the short tunic length in the first photo, but here's the current actual length:
20060822Skirt&Top2

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home