Full of Stitches

Friday, September 29, 2006

Patience..

I've been learning patience.. It's a long, slow, agonizing process.

We've been talking about taking a trip to OK to visit this autumn. My parents live in CO and Gramma's came to live with them earlier this year -or was it last year? My memory's as bad as when I was little. I know she was there in Jan when we visited last. Anyway, the plan was fly to CO, visit, drive to OK, visit, fly home. I'm half dreading going with the way my family generally interacts, but I feel I really must.

My midwife appointment is tomorrow and I need to be able to schedule my next one! This is, of course, way less important than the visits, but having dates by tomorrow's appointment was my goal.

It turns out that my 80+ year old Gramma is an illegal immigrant (we're all chuckling on this one). Her parents moved here from England when she was an infant and she was raised in the States. She married an American man and had 6 children, 5 of whom are still alive today. When she moved from the east coast to live with my parents, the intention was to find an assisted living place and let her live there for a few years (she enjoys living on her own). Well, her driver license is expired and with 9-11 and all that, they're coming down on anyone without proper documents. My parents worked to get documents from Ellis Isle, but there are none! In order to 'fix this' will take 2-3 years and the doctors are telling my parents that she is probably in her last weeks. (Knowing my family, that *could* take a couple years)

My oldest sister, Sarah, also lives in CO. She's married and has a little boy my BB's age -3 days older to be precise. My sister has MS. We found this out in 2002(?) when she was hospitalized for almost seizure like problems. She's been having flare up on and off and may be in the hospital today. I'm thinking of giving her my Sock Wars socks because they're a bit loose on me and her feet are bigger, so I'll have to keep the floors extra clean to keep grime off them ;). She adores handmades, and if I don't have the time this next week with making a pair for Gramma and cleaning/packing to go, then I'll offer her these scrumptious socks.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • whoa - so an 80-something-year-old woman gets the smack laid down on her for being an illegal immigrant? that is one for the record books

    By Anonymous shannon, at 11:47 AM  

  • Yep, they cancelled her government services, etc. She's *so* blessed that my parents are capable and Dad's working to support and Mom's there to care for her! And, according to law when it happened, she *should* be a citizen -she married an American. She just didn't know that she had to fill in paperwork!

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home