Full of Stitches

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My “Sock History”

2006socktobercalbutton
Lolly posted on her blog that we should share our sock history to help others understand where we are in the craft.

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started making socks this year (late winter/early spring 2006). In fact, I started knitting just last fall/early winter so that I could make socks! I'm self taught from books and internet. I certainly wouldn't have figured out SSK on my own from the descriptions in the books! Thank you, internet!

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first sock was a practice/infant sock from Knit Socks!, was too small for my current children, don't remember what happened to it.. no mate..
My first pair was for my son. He wants me to make his future socks to his knees (a boy after my own heart). He wears them first when he sees them in his drawer. Time hasn't told how they'll hold up, but well I'm sure -they're Lion Brand Magic Stripes.

* What would you have done differently?

Nothing. I'm happy with how my first turned out and I seem to learn new things with each new pair. That makes me rather happy with knitting them.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

My LYS carries Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn. Mostly variegated, so I'm going to have to search for yummy solid yarns (I'm more of a solid kinda gal)

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I have crocheted socks before, which is why I learned to knit. I like my socks to hold my feet, the crocheted ones just seemed too loose. I also love knee socks, so making my own is my goal.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I prefer the fit of the flap socks. I like picking up gusset stitches and reducing.. It's fun :)

* How many pairs have you made?

About 13 that I remember (flickr has most of these). The crocheted pair, 2 for BB, 2 for TJ (same yarn, but first pair had afterthought heels), 1 for AJ, 3 Sock Wars (only 1 was a game pair), 2 for Sue, and 3 for Ben (striped pair never photo'd when finished).

I've got 2 or 3 pairs on needles now. For sure, there's the Arrrrgyles (for me, now) and the Gentleman's Fancy Socks (for Sue). I'm hoping to finish leg #2 of the GFS tomorrow and post a picture of the fascinating swirling! Maybe Sue won't like them and I can keep them..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home