Full of Stitches

Friday, April 18, 2008

“No Like That Chicken”

Really, I have been knitting... I've got a heel on one of my Scherherazade's Slippers..

Yesterday, we went to the store after picking up TJ from class. I've been wanting to start cooking lamb occasionally, but at $20-30 per pound for some of the 'classier' looking cuts... well, I'm not willing to try at this point. We wandered by the meat counter and, lo and behold, leg of lamb's on sale for four bucks a pound. That's about the same as getting boneless skinless chicken around here. I snatched one up!

We picked up the farm box and headed home so I could get it in the oven. I pulled out my Nourishing Traditions cookbook and looked through the lamb recipes. I settled on Stuffed Leg of Lamb (p.344) and started substituting. I hadn't thought to have her remove the bone for me, so I had to do that myself (not exactly a work of art, but I've got lamb leg bone in the freezer for next time I make stock). I'm out of onions, so I used up last week's leeks, 2 in the stuffing and one in the pan. I couldn't find the pecans, so I used walnuts. Last week's spinach is long gone (so good), so I used the fresh turnip greens from this week's box. Mint came in the box! Perfect! I wanted the oranges in the box for dessert, so used the ones we had picked up at Safeway for in the recipe. There's no vermouth in the pantry (can you believe that?), so I used some Bare Foot something or other that's in the fridge from ... umm.. how long's it been there? And, I'm out of beef stock. Or so I thought, turns out there was just over a cup left in the freezer, so I made up the other 2 cups with water and bouillon. I tossed a few potatoes in the oven for the last hour as a side.

All in all, the lamb looked good and cooked thoroughly waiting for Ben to arrive. He had a somewhat last-minute emergency with the server and was about an hour or so late. I started plating the children's food just before he came home. I dished out the green beans and potatoes and took that to the table. BB looked at the roast and said, "I no like that chicken, I no eat that chicken!" I sliced off a portion and chopped it small with her screeching in the background, put about a teaspoon's worth on each of the girls' plates and Ben arrived. Suddenly, the girls just couldn't get enough of "that chicken" and dinner went really well for awhile. Everyone was really tired, though, so I had to set an end time and send them off to bed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home