Full of Stitches

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Revolutionary?

I was so tired and need to study. I sent a text to Ben that at 6 I would be going on break. He and the children would be on their own. I threw some potatoes in the oven and was about to gather my things when MissB pulled out the mini-pie tins and MissA asked if we could have pot pies for dinner.

Ah, I have pie crust in the fridge (store bought for just such a moment). Veggies abound since the CSA has started up again, and TJ pulled a radish from the garden. And, there's chicken stock in the freezer (my bad. I meant to cool it off quickly and forgot about it!).

I pulled a few potatoes back out of the oven and chopped up the vegetables - broccoli, celery, squash, radish and potatoes - and tossed them together. I double-bagged the bowl shaped broth and smashed it on the pavement, then put a few big chunks in a pot (~2-3 cups). When it melted, I added flour (maybe 2 Tbsp, could've used at least 1/4 cup) and let that boil till it reduced a bit, and added a dash of thyme and basil. The girls helped me place the crusts in the pans and poke them with forks. Then I filled the pie pans with veggies to just under the rim (no higher than the liquid level will be, the filling above the gravy may not cook) and poured the broth over them. The potatoes came out of the oven just before the pies were ready to go in. I think they cooked about 30 min, maybe just under.

img potpies

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home