Full of Stitches

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Balanced

It was one of those days.

The plane was late coming in last night, so Ben and I went to bed quite late. This morning, TJ and MissA had piano lessons so we had to get up early. No one could find MissA's glasses. Just as we were about to go, some little person had to go.. Then we were all finally in the car, driving, and I asked the pianists to check their written work, and the one asked where the books were.. Back home we drove for books.

We dropped them at lessons, dropped Ben at the closest train station, and headed to the park. I'd forgotten Little Guy's shoes and fresh diaper (so thankful he's beginning to let me know when he needs to potty).

Everyone was hungry when lessons were over. LG fell asleep on the way home, so I lay down to nurse him and TJ made lunch (grilled cheese, yum!).

After lunch, we headed to the garage. My intention was to reattach the rack onto my bike to carry the baby seat. I inflated bike tires on all the children's bikes, but am at a loss as to where the nuts and bolts went (they were on the shelf). That's when TJ brought me MissA's glasses.




So much for bolts. I called the optometrist to see if they had an opening, and they said to come on over. We ordered her a new pair, and ordered a part for my broken glasses, too (the hinge broke, they ordered a new "temple" -ear piece).

Barely five minutes after we got in, the neighbor came to see if the children could play. I heard the doorbell, but one of them answered and I found the door open and the babies out front. I sent them in for it.

Everyone was hungry. Again. MissB requested pasta. I started the water to boil and pulled out the pasta. No sauce. No meatballs. TJ had used all the mozzarella for lunch (& it was good, though I did let him know I usually use the jack or cheddar for grilled cheese & the mozzarella fir things like pasta or pizzas), and there was just a tiny bit of Colby Jack and a scant 1/8 cup Parmesan left.

I set a saucepan on medium heat, diced an onion & melted some butter. Onion dumped in pan. My neighbor had recently given us some little tomatoes and there were two larger ones & half a cucumber left from sandwiches Sunday. I diced these and dropped them as I finished each into the saucepan, stirring once in a while. The pan smelled like boiling vegetables - not particularly tempting to me! Spice cabinet: what would smell good? Thinking spaghetti sauce, I added a bit of the Italian seasonings, could have been basil, marjoram, oregano, and the last bit of thyme, some salt & pepper, and then a hint of turmeric. Finally, good aroma! When the pasta was done, I added a splash of the pasta water to the sauce & drained the noodles. The Parmesan and some olive oil went on the pasta & the little two ate that while the sauce cooked down another few minutes.

The kids really liked it. TJ had 4 bowls! Ben liked it, too. Everyone had a cookie & a piece of taffy that Ben had brought from New York.

After dinner, MissA went to the garage to assist Daddy so she could start paying, in labor, for her replacement glasses. I took LG for a walk & came back to find one of the grape trellises finished & the second half done, MissB entertaining MissC with a tea party & TJ practicing standing while riding the balance bike.

When they finished up, I invited them for ice cream. Strawberry, chocolate mint, and vanilla were on hand. Toppings were peanuts, chocolate Magic Shell, and maraschino cherries. A nice finish for my day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home