Full of Stitches

Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Day

What a lovely Thanksgiving!

Our families are out of town, and the closest set of grandparents were unable to have us over this year. We were hoping to host and have them over, but the drive will be too much this year (hoping she heals well). So, we invited friends who also have no local family.

Monday, I was up early and did most of the shopping.
Tuesday, Ben had the car.
Wednesday, I did a quick trip for the last few items and took the children to piano class. I figured that I could get to the mall, pick up some dishes, and be back in two hours. The drive was great, I parked really close, I found the dishes we liked (yes, I was SMSing pictures to Ben to be sure), then I got in line. I think I moved 10 feet in 30 minutes. And I waited till the last minute, and my phone died. Then, I set my boxes on the closest shelf and left. We were 10 minutes late from the traffic on the way back.. And then I was reminded we had scheduled 90 minutes, not two hours. So, I was 40 minutes late picking up the older two.

From lessons, we picked up Ben. Earlier, we had discussed going to pick up flatware he liked at a store nearer work, so we headed there. We didn't find enough of the one he liked best (brushed steel, for the matte finish), but they had a similar one in regular stainless (polished look) that he liked. From there, we went to the mall. Again.

I got in line and pointed out where I'd left the plates. Ben brought them over and then took the children to eat while I waited in line. By the time they finished and were back, I was third in line!

I had been hoping to do the prep work on Wednesday, but all we got done at home was to brine the bird and wash the dishes.

Thursday was actually calm and fun. Ben was up before I was. He was a huge help with prep work, moving tables, chairs, children. He practically took over the kitchen. ;)

We used the Alton Brown recipe (Food Network), starting the bird at 500F, and cooking at 350F, but we cooked it breast-down. After the bird was in, I started the rolls, prepped the stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, all those lovelies. We made our candied yams with orange slices. So good. So, so good. All but the stuffing were dairy-free, one of our friends is allergic to milk. The potatoes were of the Gold variety, boiled in water, then mixed with roasted garlic, chicken stock, olive oil and some salt. I really liked them.

The children enjoyed a big meal and lots of gaming time. Mr and Mrs S- taught us a card game: Shanghai. They brought dessert and Mr C- brought the drinks.

All in all, a day of blessings to end another year to thank our Good Lord for so much that we don't deserve.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home