Full of Stitches

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Fare Thee Well!

The in-laws have come and gone. My husband suggests that they're chasing the heat: they live in OK, came to the Bay for the worst heat wave in recorded history (or something like that), and are now headed to SoCal. At least Sis-in-law and fam live by the beach! Despite the rolling blackouts and extreme heat (we dont have A/C, so our attempt to aquire a fan was squandered by the fact that everyone in the Bay area seemed to have had the same idea about 2 days before us - we ended up with a carpet drying blower thing that works really well at moving air!), the in-laws enjoyed the time with us. AJ was crying at the door this morning and wouldn't wave goodbye. She simply looked after them and whimpered, "I love them so much."

LL yarn ends
(edited to add pic) This is where I ran out of LL, almost finished the heel flap!

I haven't quite finished the second Embossed Leaves sock, but I have turned the heel and decreased the gusset. I was knitting on it at the Children's Discovery Museum and received quite a few looks and several questions and compliments. One gal asked how I learned to knit (I picked it up out of a book, but I've been crocheting for 20 years, so it wasn't hard to make the change), another 2 or 3 were fascinated with the pattern, one poor soul told me that I should be proud because it took a particularly talented person to be able to do that sort of thing (no, I didn't see tied shoes on her, some people just dont know what their fingers are for). One little girl was so cute, her mother explained that I was knitting "just like Grandma crochets" LOL! Harlot would crack on that one! (I just read the Sour Grapes chapter in The Secret Life of a Knitter, what a hoot! As one who crochets, I can admit it takes more yarn, but not quite that much more. Yet I totally agree that half the crocheting pattern producing community seems to be on crack or something). The little girl asked me if I worked at the museum, um, "No, I'm here with my children." Then she inquired after which were mine and their names and ages and she seemed quite an astute and bright 3/4 year old.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home