Full of Stitches

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sock a Month Club

At the end of May, I joined a Sock Club. I thought, Okay ~$20/month for a neat pattern and some nice yarn. The first kit came and the pattern was not my thing.. (I guess that's the point, move one out of the comfort zone) and the yarn.. The yarn looks like it's all stretched out. It's the right weight, but has no stretch or recovery. I let a month go by thinking maybe it was a fluke. So, last month the kit comes and the yarn is worsted weight even though the pattern calls for Lorna's Laces or a substitute of fingering/sock weight. Hmm..

(pic is of the 2 yarns plus my green Lorna's Laces for comparison)
20060720_yarn1.jpg

The blue is pretty, I could send the socks to Mom, she'd like the color. But, no stretch? I'm afraid that as soon as I wash the socks they'll shrink 3 sizes!
The pink? Oh, it's pink. I guess I could suffer through a hat for the girls, but this is *NOT* sock yarn. Sure, one could make socks of it, but how long will they last?

20060720_yarn2.jpg

See how scrawny the blue is? Is it safe to use? I just balled it (forgive me, I own no winder, but Mom did teach me to make a proper soft ball to avoid the evil stretch out) and I'm thinking of trying the July pattern with it, but how much bigger than my size should I make the sock?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home