Full of Stitches

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What’s That I Hear??

RRRRRRRRRRrip-it!! Oh, it's a cute froggy sock!! So, I've decided that I'm going to just rip out the Jaywalker and start over. I screwed up on the toe and with all the gusset length issue(s) I finally read Judy Gibson's instructions.. And since I haven't figured out what chart A is... I ran off to the link for her original toe-up sock, which has a link to Kim Salazar's sock... which has a link.. (j/k)

Basically, I'm supposed to work the even foot part to 3-3.5" shy of the measurement of my foot. My last attempt was closer to 4" and although I'm going to go ahead and turn the heel (a new experience - I've only done the shortrow heel on toe-up socks before) so that I have a better idea of how long the foot has to be and what the heck I'm doing! Also, since my knitting is getting a bit tighter with practice, I'm going to go up from 000s to 00s for the next attempt.

This will a) get me a better fit for my socks, and b) allow them to be counted toward Summer of Socks (which I won't win anyway, but I may as well contribute to the totals). So, 4 weeks after SoS has started, I'll be 'starting' my first pairs of socks!

In the meantime, I've started my sister's (top-down) Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks in Lorna's Laces "Mineshaft" - I love it. These will be adapted to tabi socks because my sister only wears flip flops outside of work. She will love and adore these socks and someday beg me to darn or replace them. She may even go and find yarn to give to me to hint that she needs more than one pair come "Winter." Having wool socks on as she wanders the sandy beaches of SoCal will keep her toes toasty. "Winter" in SoCal being enough to chill a person used to temperate climes, but nice enough to anyone visiting that they think Californians are weak and cold-blooded.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home