Full of Stitches

Monday, November 20, 2006

1997 - First Birth

Tuesday night was our second to last birth class. About 8:30PM, I left for a moment to use the restroom and found my "show." I had some niggling aches throughout, but nothing bothersome. Towards the end of class, I let the nurse know that I would see her tomorrow because I was beginning labor. She looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about and let me know that these things don't usually happen so quick the first time. The other classmembers asked that we bring in the baby for the last class the following week.

I was too excited to sleep that night. Who could? I'd not had any 'braxton hicks' contractions that made me think I was in labor during this pregnancy. Sure, I'd had some niggling backaches that reminded me of minor menstrual cramps, and my belly had grown tight sometimes. But, none of these indicated the craziness you see on T.V. or in movies about horrible pain that sends you running to the hospital. I knew also that sickness would send me for help before pain did because I was always ill with my monthly period.

My husband-at-the-time put in a movie and fell asleep on the couch. Around 11PM, the contractions began. I let him sleep as I paced around the room. I thought of going for a walk around the block, but the hour kept me home. I know now that I should have drank more and had a light snack at least, but I didn't know that then. Around 3AM, the nausea started. I woke my husband and called my mother -someone had to care for the cat while I was in the hospital! When he was ready and I had boxed the cat, we stopped by Mom's house. I remember having a contraction as we were chatting and she said it looked like it was time alright. We said goodbye -she'd finish her night's rest and see us later at the hospital -Dad had been transferred out of town and Mom was staying to sell the house while he was househunting.

When we arrived at the hospital, the nurse told me I should go home as I was only dilated 2 or 3. Thankfully, I hadn't puked yet, but I asked her where a restroom was and quickly ran off and began my vigil by the toilet. She looked in on me and said something about being allowed to stay. The next time I saw her she had a big needle of some kind of anti-nausea drug. It didn't work.

I was hooked up to the monitoring equipment and given an I.V. I found the contraction printout fascinating and checked it frequently.

My family started filtering through the L&D (labor and delivery) room. Everyone seemed to have a camera and we were all chatty. My brothers sat with me for a little while and my older brother later told me that during contractions I reminded him of the Exorcist movie: the little girl's head spins around and she spews pea soup everywhere. It's a good thing for him that I had a little puke bucket to aim for!

Once the nausea medicine had "worn off," or at least worked it's way out of my system, they were able to give me something stronger. I wasn't planning on using narcotics, but apparently Demerol relaxes the system to halt extreme puking. That was around 8AM (four hours after the first med).

They wouldn't let me get up after that. I was made to stay in bed to labor as it's not safe to walk around while drugged half out of your mind. I remember some particularly difficult contractions and my Mom reminding me to breathe, and on another she told me to focus. Focus? "On what?" I said, "The flowers are moving around on the walls!"

The Demerol numbed my sense of time. I was aware of the T.V. being on. The McCaughey septuplets were being born in Iowa while I was laboring in California. People came in and out. My sister, Sarah, stopped by with her boyfriend and a girl friend, they said hello and snapped a few pictures. The husband went to nap in the waiting room. My sister, Sue, came in and out of the room -the doctor offered her the giant crochet hook to let her break my waters (Sue thought that was gross, "Isn't that your job?"). Mom and her friend, Mary, were there at the end.

Between 10 and 10:30AM, I was told by the nurse that I had a 'lip' and needed to roll onto my right side. I'd been on my left or sitting up most of labor. I rolled and immediately the intensity increased and I screamed out that I felt like pushing. The nurse hollered back, "Don't!" and that she would get the doctor. I lay there slamming my fist into the side of the bed. Mom says that my husband was in the room then and that as I pounded the bed his eyes got round and he stepped back.

The doctor came and they got me "in position." That is, semi-reclining on my back at the edge of the bed with my feet on stirrups. The doctor told me that I could push when I was ready. I followed the contractions and squeezed when my body did. As the head crowned, I again called out, this time in real pain, "It hurts! It hurts! At the top, it hurts!" (Why had no one ever mentioned the 'ring of fire' phenomenon? Perhaps then I would have tried to pause and let the head slide more slowly? This burning tearing sensation was a complete surprise! A change of positions may also have relieved it somewhat!) I remember seeing the concern as I indicated what area and then there was a swoop of scissors. I was somewhat numbed at the general idea of what had happened and finished pushing the baby out. It didn't take long, maybe one or two more pushes for the head, a pause to check the neck was clear, and another push or two for the body.

I don't remember holding him right off, I may have. I know the first time I looked at his face, he looked up at me and smiled. They took him to clean and measure and put gook on his eyes. They handed him to Mary while the doctor stitched me up -oh, did that tickle! She looked at me like I was crazy because I was giggling.. I was numb where she was working, but I'm rather ticklish! Mom held him, then went to announce the birth to the waiting room (full of my and my husband's families).

T.J. was born at 11:02AM; 7 pounds 5 ounces and 22 inches long. His nose was crooked, but his head was perfectly round. He was a touch jaundiced from how dehydrated I'd gotten, but nothing serious.

They brought me lunch soon after, what a blessing that was! I was so hungry! After a nice hot meal, they moved me to the recovery room. There were 2 or 3 other mothers in there and we chatted on and off.

Sue was taking photography classes at the community college. She and Mom came by and she took lots of black and white photos.
The nurse from our birthing classes also stopped by and congratulated me.

I had a little problem with sore nipples after a day or so. The nurse gave me vitamin-E capsules and a safety pin with instructions to rub some on after feeding to keep them from cracking.

They offered to let me stay one last night and I agreed. It was pleasantly quiet at the hospital. The next day, we started our new 'normal.'

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home