Full of Stitches

Saturday, March 31, 2007

the Greener Grocer

I'm having a little chuckle. Apparently, San Fran is banning regular plastic grocery bags -only at the grocers that make the most money! Here's a great chance for the little guys (that generally already sell canvas bags) to start something. Why don't they just charge extra (penny each?) for the plastic, or make a bag rental system? Pick a 'store color' for these ones, sell other colors for the customers who want their own supply (after all, who knows how many people wash the bags after meat was carried, or how well the stores will provide such a service). Sturdier bags, small price. Bring them back each visit. If you don't need as many next time, leave it with the store and get a realistic bag refund.

I bring my own bags, I even walk to the store most of the time! Every time I shop, I get 1-3 cents per bag off my order (the $.01 is supposed to be for reusing the plastic bags, the $.03 is for using your own bags). $.18 cents last time, multiply that by 52 weeks: $9.36. Most of my bags were freebies, though I wouldn't mind picking up another good one with a zipper when I need another bag. I may even start using the cooler bag in the summer for the cold and frozen items.

Edited to add: Whole Foods carries green reusable sacks for 99 cents. They take off (or you can donate) 5 cents per bag per order.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home