Full of Stitches

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

ELD #203

I'm constantly in need of a few good dresses.. Mostly because I rarely make ones that I like or will wear much. I've been liking the idea of having a few shirt dresses for casual wear, but don't necessarily want to go around with my dress unbuttoned everywhere. I have a copy of most of the Elizabeth Lee Designs "Nursing Classics" patterns. So, Tuesday night I pulled out pattern #203, adjusted slightly and cut it out. My 2 initial adjustments were:
a) lower the sleeve cap equivalent of 1 size (as mentioned in the #204 directions to give it a fitted rather than slightly gathered sleeve), and
b) made the skirt A-line.

I'd post a picture, but I can't find the camera.. It's probably in this room.. scary thought. I just fixed the locations of the nursing openings. Tomorrow, I plan to go buy some buttons (I checked, I didn't have the 'right ones'), hem the sleeves and put in a skirt hem.. I just hope it's not too uneven.

The next time I make this dress, I will do those aforementioned adjustments plus a few more.
1) lower the waistline. It's an early maternity dress as is.
2) correct nursing opening locations.. running off to mark pattern piece now (for some reason, maybe it's the right place on a larger size, the dots are really high. The lower dot is just about at my bustline). For me, the current waist seamline is the best place for the lower end of the opening (I've got the same issue with the #204)
3) change the neckline. I'm not sure if they were trying for wide scoop or odd boatneck. Perhaps I overdid the interfacing? I need to work on that, too.
4) figure out something to do with the sleeves! Details help in any dress. This pattern is wonderful to someone new to sewing.. I'm a bit more experienced and want a more polished look. Maybe something like this (Julia's blog here).
5) waistline detail. It could use something to merge the 2 fabrics. Maybe when I get buttons, they'll pull it together better.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home