Full of Stitches

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Patch Pockets

20070211heads
The baby does have a face!

I made those pink bloomers for AJ the other day. Only problem was No Pockets. Someone explain to me why the Pattern Makers insist that people look pretty but not for Real Life. Nevermind, don't explain, I know. They refuse to add pockets to keep the aesthetics of the item pleasing to the eye. Sorry, we live in our clothes! Back to the bloomers!

AJ wants pockets in/on all her clothes. I made this first pair according to pattern as a fitting-muslin to try out how the pattern fits her. Must go down a few sizes! She's 4, it's a size 4. I folded down the waistband and sewed it in place again when I finished because the crotch curve area is super long. The elastic was pulled in an extra couple inches. These are wearable and she loves them.
20070306patchbloom

The trick to ironing edges like the patch pockets is a greeting card:
20070306patch2
Just mark the needed fold size and press fabric over edge of card:
20070306patch3
I learned this on the NMSL, gives nice even smooth folds:
20070306patch1
The left pocket has been marked with basting thread. This is wonderful for hems! Just fold and press at the line of stitching, and once the hem is sewn, remove the thread.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home