Full of Stitches

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Baby Bantams

img bantams
Monday morning, I called the Post Office to let them know I'm expecting chicks in the mail. The lady seemed a little nervous, she asked several times if there's a phone number on the box. We then continued our day. At 5:11PM, the phone rang. The P.O. lady told me that the chicks have arrived, but the P.O. is closed. I asked if I may pick them up. She said I could, but the P.O. is closed. The lobby is locked up, but there's a side door with a door bell. She didn't specify where the door was. When I got there I glanced around the lobby, didn't see a door, went out and looked at both sides of the building.. One door, no bell. Said a little prayer, headed back in and there it was.. A big obvious blue door. I rang and heard the quiet behind the door fill with peeps. They scanned by box and I took the little chicks home.

The minimum order is 25, and the hatchery usually puts in a couple extras to keep the numbers up. Plus, they often have a 'rare chick' thrown in. The chicks seemed to be alright when they arrived. Lost only 2 in transit, but there were some that didn't eat or drink well right off. Before bed last night, we lost 2 others. This morning I awoke to 4 down and 3 not looking well. I've changed the water out and put milk in to hopefully keep them from Coccidiosis (a bacterial infection which can kill them easily at this size and season). Summer's not the best time to get baby birds.

The rare is a full sized chick, the ones we ordered are bantams. I'm a little nervous the big one will squish the others. We have them in a box for now, Ben placed it in a closet (no doors, so I think they're still getting a good air exchange). By the weekend after this, I'm sure they'll need a bigger space. They should a a bit heartier, too, so they'll get to live in the kitchen. For now, I'm focusing on keeping them as healthy as I can and trying to stave off any more listlessness in the tiny chicks.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home