Full of Stitches

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Broke the Car.

The other day I mentioned in passing that I hit one of those divider curb things. At 40MPH. It was late at night and poorly lit. I noticed the left turn lane at the last moment and as I was going into it noticed the curb - I think it's to keep people from turning left from the side street onto the main street - but too late to pull out of the way. The curb is on the right side of the left turn lane between the turn lane and the through traffic.

Ben took it to the shop and they told him that if I'd struck the tire itself it would have been much worse. The force would have bent the axle, and affected breaks and a number of other things (bent strut, control arm,etc). Basically immediately undrivable. As it was, I hit the large housing next to the tire and bent it enough that they had to bend it to reattach the anti-sway bar and the brace (?) arm that goes from that to the body behind the bumper can't be reattached.

I feel horrible. I broke the car. In my youth, I was taught that people heal, things don't. I would have heard it here to my deathbed! Every time I turn around, I would be hearing someone telling me how awful it was to have to pay out all this hard-earned money for something that could so easily have been avoided if I'd been more careful.

Ben just looks at me and says, "We'll fix it or I'll get you a new car." He's just happy that we're all okay.

I'm so lost.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Hrm.. that was supposed to be the 'hug' emoticon. *hugs*

    By Anonymous Ben, at 1:13 AM  

  • >:D

    By Anonymous Ben, at 1:13 AM  

  • It only does simple smilies, not the full-on emoticons

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 1:42 AM  

  • I think that sometimes (always?) God gives us a partner who can help reverse some of those deep-seated beliefs from our youth that are not particularly important. Or at least not as important as we were led to believe. Not to insinuate that your parents were terrible for making you see the importance of caring for your belongings, but perhaps Ben will help you find a line somewhere in the middle of utter disregard for material objects and lifelong guilt for hitting a curb.
    I am very familiar with the same effect in my own marriage. I think it's so we appreciate our husbands all the more. My husband is a mechanic so he tends to take vehicle damage, repairs, etc. pretty lightly. They don't have the same economic strain on our family that they have on others.

    Blessings!
    Lindsey in AL

    By Anonymous Lindsey in AL, at 11:15 PM  

  • Maybe it's the mechanics blood? My FIL is a mechanic, so anything goes wrong means Ben gets to talk to his Dad.

    I really love how it tosses me off balance every so often how I carry that guilt and he stands there telling me to drop it. And, I agree that it wasn't terrible of my parents -they had 5 children in 6 years and had to somehow keep the house in one piece! Most people don't even want to imagine 5 teenagers at once. So, I think they did a fine job with what they had.

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home