Full of Stitches

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Long Day

I'm having fun trying to figure out which chick is what using Feathersite.com's list. I can't seem to figure out which are the Rhode Island Reds. The pictures on the site show light red, like what I'm guessing are the frizzles.. So.. My guess is they're the mahogany/brown ones.. Or, their feathers are growing in funny.. At the hatchery site, the bantam version RIR have much darker chicks (image of RIR from hatchery)..

We ordered 3 each: Americana, Red Frizzle Cochin, Partridge Rock, Buff Brahma (of which they hatched extra for us to receive the maximum potential # of live birds), Golden Sebright, Mille Fleur, and
4 each: Rhode Island Red, and Black-Tailed White Japanese
img chicks
There was a minimum order of 25, so we just had fun ordering a few of each of a bunch. They don't 'sex' (check gender) the bantams, so we have good odds of getting the 4-6 hens we can keep in a variety of looks. We want some layers, that's why we ordered more reds in our interesting assortment. I really hope one or both of the yellow chicks is female! Just one for looks would be nice. That was our favorite when we were ordering.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I am so tickled that you have chickens!! We have had them for about 2.5 years now and we really love them. We got a batch of 15 black Australorps for our first trial and only lost one before adulthood- that was in the first week or so. She was sort of gimpy from the get-go. Only one of her eyes opened :\

    Of those 15 birds we have 4 left- the bulk were killed by a dog we had for a while. It took her 3 months to figure it out but she finally developed a way of trapping them and killing (or maiming beyond running away ability) them. So she is gone now.

    We ordered 55 birds this early spring- we got them 7th of March. 22 of them went into the freezer last month- that was a real adventure but we honestly enjoyed it. We just enjoyed one of them this evening in the form of fried chicken :D I think we lost 3 of the meat birds altogether. We gave away 5 of our young layers-to-be and sold 5 more. So now we have about 20 pullets (possibly 1 rooster and 1 remaining meat bird "Frank") who should begin laying about the time New Baby is born (late July) I am really looking forward to more eggs than we can eat again :D
    I have heard that most hatcheries will replace or refund for any birds that die in transit or in the first few days. You might want to look at that. We haven't ever had any die in transit. Then again, Missouri to Alabama isn't a very long trip. Yours might have had to go further.

    I have to add that you inspired me to really take the plunge and go shampoo-free as well. It's been 2 weeks (as of tomorrow night) and other than a bit of weirdness that only I can feel, it's great! I was down to 2 shampoos a week (but not rinsing very often in between) and I had gotten rid of the detergents. I am pretty happy with things to far. If this is the worst it will get and it will get better from here, I am satisfied :D

    Blessings!
    Lindsey in AL

    By Anonymous Lindsey in AL, at 7:06 AM  

  • The hatchery was great. I emailed and they said to telephone them. I called and they asked if they could resend the order. I don't like to get chicks too late in the year, though, and we're only allowed to keep a handful ourselves. They refunded me for the dozen (ten would have been fine by me) birds that didn't live.

    If this works out well, we may go for the meat birds the next time. For now, we've got the cute bantams, and we'll enjoy what eggs they provide starting next spring!

    My hair seems to have reached a balance, too. I think it's worst for those that still wash daily to suddenly stop. I've been lengthening time between washes for 2 or 3 years now, so to stop hasn't done me any harm. I like to try to get in the shower and rinse each day, but you know how it is with a newborn (husband says, "sometimes you have to get in twice" -ha!).

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home