Full of Stitches

Friday, February 08, 2008

Pickled Beans

In September, I got a CSA box with wax beans. I knew they'd be so good if we just gobbled them up, but I wanted to test the idea of 'putting up' some things for when we don't have the boxes. They were my first victims. I had ordered a copy of Making Sauerkraut and so I got to work.
img pickled beans
I pulled them from the back of the fridge at lunch today. They looked okay, none of the white yeast like in one of the jars of carrots.. I opened up the jar: no foul odor. I pulled out a bean: still crisp (you just blanch them before pickling, so they don't turn out limp), light fragrance. I bit into it: slightly sour, no tart, tangy, tasty. Good. MissA was in the room. She was given a bite. I told her it's a little sour at first. She agreed (made a face), "Sour," and I finished mine and told her, "Sour, but good." She heartily agreed (probably glad at that point I'd only given her one little bite and it was over with.. She's my picky eater).

I served them up with dinner. Only MissA didn't want to eat hers. MissB is my veggie lover and TJ will generally eat anything. MissC didn't like the yellow ones, but ate up several green beans. And, the hardest critic of all said he'd eat them in small amounts like that.

Now to get him to like sweet potatoes...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home