Full of Stitches

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Long, Fast Week

Sunday night, T.J. was goofing around on the bunk bed and smacked his hand pretty hard. He showed it to me and there was a scratch on one finger and slight swelling on his knuckle. He washed it, iced it, and went to bed. Next morning, he showed me a well bruised and swollen pinky. Dr didn't open till 9AM, so we went to piano lessons as usual (he had one of his best lessons ever attitude-wise, go figure), and I arranged the appointment.

img tjbrokenpinky

The x-ray showed a fracture at the very base of his pinky-finger bone, but the hand itself is just fine. He gets to wear a splint for about 3 weeks.

img sharkhatstart

In knitting news, I've started on Christmas gifts. I made my first hat the other day (still haven't taken a photo yet) and was happy with how quick and simple they are! I thought, "Wow, a hat every other day would get gifts done for our family," and started knitting from stash. Then I came across the Shark Hat pattern. What boy doesn't want his hat to look like it's eating his head? I bought some Cascade 220 Superwash (in Blueberry, they didn't have a blue-grey in superwash) and cast that puppy on! I followed the directions and it looked really weird. I looked through the Ravelry entries and found the problem, no plain knit rounds were indicated between the increases! As is, the tail turned out rather stubby and the increases left a line of almost-eyelets down the back "seam"! Also, I measured the depth and from the last increase to the bindoff of the red was 9 inches.. And, I'm using a lighter weight yarn. I'd already seamed the dorsal and sewn on the tail, so I ripped back to the last round of 10 stitches and reknit it, adding rounds to the tail, removing some from the body, and moving the dorsal fin. I've just finished to the gums again and have to get to bed.

When I get up, I'm going to bake the last couple gingerbread houses because the homeschoolers are coming over to put them together at 10AM.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home