Full of Stitches

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Little Guy Says, "Ow!"

It has been a really nice day. I didn't sleep much last night & the children let me sleep in.

I woke to the phone ringing. My friend Mrs. C- was due to pick up some homeschool manipulatives on her way to a charter school orientation. I'm so glad she called. I hopped out of bed, tossed on yesterday's dress & ran my fingers through my hair. She was here within five minutes & actually complemented me on how nice I look in the morning!

Inside, TJ had made chocolate pancakes - literally just added a Tablespoon of cocoa powder per cup of pancake mix - that turned out pretty good.

After breakfast, we started schoolwork. I taught the girls their math lesson, but didn't ever make it to TJ's. Then I gave them the SWR placement test (TJ, the 6th grader, scored in the tenth grade level). While TJ finished the test (the girls were dismissed as they stopped even trying to spell), the girls made us sandwiches for lunch.
Then I tried to get Little Guy down for a nap. When he ought to have been asleep, I carefully peeked in & found him at the foot of the bed with a screwdriver.. (last week, I injured my foot in that spot on a loosened screw & it still hurts)

After lunch, the children had a swim.. So, MissC & LG are playing on the pool step & LG loses his balance & falls in. MissC's so concerned that she grabs his leg & pulls him back, but won't let go.. even though he's face down in the water.. I pulled him out & thanked her & asked if she'd try for an arm next time so he could get his head up & breathe. (this was literally 5-10 seconds tops between me seeing him totter before he fell in & me pulling him out)

And then, they took the watercolor paints out back & painted. Painted paper, trees, horses, each other.

Then came the scream. I had just gone in the house for something when the Little Guy hollered something fierce. I came running out to him recovering his footing in the (filled in) pond. He had gotten behind it, as I understood, and tripped or slid down into it on accident. He was happy with a big hug, then toddled off. I sat down and painted with the older children, then whisked LG off for nursing. As I sat down, I noticed something red on the back of his knee. Hoping it was paint, I gingerly turned the boy on his tummy and saw a long scratch.

Immediately, I hollered for TJ. I handed him my debit card & sent him to the store for gauze. I cleaned up LG's leg at the sink, then decided on a bath for the stubborn dirty spot. The bath kept both MissC & LG entertained & I was able to clean the paint off them both. TJ called, near tears that he didn't know my PIN # & I explained the credit function over the phone. He returned with big bandaids, medical tape & a toy, no gauze. Kids. The bandaids worked out great, though.

Once LG was patched, TJ was late to guitar class. He was due to leave for class when he headed to the store. I dropped him & his bike at class & I headed to the store with the other 4.

LG finally had that nap in the car. I transferred him to the stroller & he slept through the store & continued the nap on the way home. We were able to get diapers (I decided on disposables for the next week to ensure no leakage onto the wound), bandaids galore, & fresh ointment.

We made it back after TJ. The message machine reminded me to have him pack for his weekend away. Once he had most of that together, I took the children out for Pho. It was so good! & The Incredibles was playing on the TV, so the children peacefully ate & watched the movie.

Now I've burned the jam I was making, had a glass of wine & blogged. It's time for bed. I have to be up in 7ish hours to have TJ catch the bus at 9.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home