Full of Stitches

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Simplify

The bike trailer was disrobed. The frame now holds a boogy board and a child-sized beach chair. The children have been taking turns pushing each other around and right now MissA is using it as a wheelchair.



I unplugged the TV last weekend. TJ figured out there was a plug missing, but couldn't reach it to plug it back in. There has been a surge in outside play and art - MissB is getting incredibly good at drawing Frodo Baggypants!



A couple years ago, my MIL had suggested that I put the sewing away so I could focus on the children better. I'm naturally very slow to adapt, so it was a long time coming. This last Christmas (2009), I decided it was time. I've been piling the donations up, then pulling them back in to work on things, piling donations, pulling back in..

I'd still like to make their clothes, but it needs to wait for now. I have to focus my efforts to school them and get my own schooling done. I have about 1/10 of the modules sent in and about half of them in some state of work. I've found it quite difficult to study at home, so my Saturdays at the coffee shop are indispensable.

The next frustration I ran into was schooling the children. I had collected a great horde of textbooks and workbooks and supplies, Oh My! Would this turn out to be harder to declutter? Yes and no. I know where I'd like to go with some components of home school, but not with others. I'd like all my teacher books to fit in one case so we can easily take school along with us.

We invested, though that's hardly the best word as the program is inexpensive, in SWR. So, now the old phonics books and stacks of spelling workbooks that we've hardly touched can find a new home.

History and science are a little harder right now. With practice, I'll get better at this, but I'm currently not the greatest history or science teacher. I'm loving my Apologia texts, so we'll keep with those. History, though.. I've still got to figure out. I've got random children's history books lying about. I have the Veritas History (2nd grade only, at this point) & I love the cards, but the books drive me a little batty. I'm going to stick to it for now, see if we can make some headway once our school schedule is started. I know the library might be the answer, but I don't really like the local branch. I'll probably, eventually, go through the adult history sections in bookstores and have some chronology that way. We'll see. For now, it is as it is.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home