Full of Stitches

Monday, April 18, 2011

Yellow Dress

Sunday morning I woke late. I had planned to wash a load of laundry, but there wasn't time! I looked around and found this "wearable muslin" that I had started. It needed only 3 things: zipper, sleeves, hem.

I cannot recall ever having made or purchased any item of yellow clothing for myself. Until now.



20110410-032219.jpg

Elegant Musing's Casey hosted a Swing Dress Sew-A-Long recently. Sense & Sensibility Patterns sells the 1940's Swing Dress downloadable pattern for about $10. Why not? I need a couple new summery dresses.

I printed the pattern and taped it together, then traced it into interfacing, basted the bodice together, and pin-fitted it.


20110410-032931.jpg

I took out an inch from the shoulder gathers and an half inch from the length of the bodice, but I think that was conservative as I still have about an half inch too much length! There's a bit of blousiness built in to this style, and I need some room to move, yes, but I think the bodice is still a bit long for my frame.



20110410-040520.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with it. I lined the entire dress, flat-felled all the shirt seams, added pockets, left off the ties, used Casey's zipper instructions, Quietude's nursing adaptation (I still need to add snaps! I used safety pins so I could wear it to church Sunday), and 20110410-045241.jpg

Here's the inside. The lining is eyelet. I set it so it just shows the tips of the lacy edge under my dress hem - I didn't want to have it fully exposed, but I can easily bring up the dress gem to show off a few inches of eyelet.



20110410-045834.jpg

Ben says it's cheerful.

Next time:
-Try taking some under-bust gathers out (see Slapdash's "I Can Buy Cheap, Cute Bras Bust Adjustment" for SBA hints - I love the hint to reduce the length of the edge on a crossover/ surplice style blouse or dress), then decide if another half inch needs to be gone. I usually have to remove two or more inches from the over bust length of store bought patterns, and the pattern instructions say this is made for a long torso.

-Add a little more ease at the base of the waist curve for my belly (5 babies leave a softened curve).

-Try another style pockets, though these patch pockets are nice.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home