Full of Stitches

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Dodging the Draft?

Dilemma of the day: I have this adorable maternity pattern that my mother gave me years ago. I would have made this pattern up so many times, but sadly the back piece is missing! Also, the neckband piece is missing, but I'm sure that would prove easier to draft as it's just tracing the seam of the front, then draw a complementary inner curve and add seam allowances.

20060606B5573a.jpg

The original back didn't have much shaping, but I've never drafted on my own and I would need to make the armscye curve to match the sleeve. Perhaps it's time to query Rowena? Here's the pattern piece page from the pattern:

20060606B5573b.jpg

The dress has a high back neckband.. So, the general idea (I hazard a guess) will be to measure the front piece (minus the excess fabric from the pleats) and wonder what the finished bust measurement ought to be (since they didn't actually print them on the pattern or envelope back then), and then just trace the shoulder edge and side seam and curve the hem slightly as shown and draw a back armscye that looks similar to the one in the picture and will fit well between the shoulder and side seams! Whew! I think it may prove to be more work to type out than to actually make. I feel better just posting about this!

Aha! There is a finished width at lower edge (74.25"), so that will help me! And, I know the finished back length.. That may help somewhat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home