Full of Stitches

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Welcome Clarice Lynn

Our newest addition was born Saturday evening at 5:21PM PT. She weighed in at 8 lbs 5 oz and was just 21 about inches long.

After my previous post, the contractions stayed mostly mild and semi-irregular, slowly growing closer. It seemed each time I was in the birthtub, they edged closer. Ben took the older children out to get lunch while I tried to get BB down for a nap -failed because I had a contraction as I put her to bed and she just stayed up and played. When Ben came home, I stayed in the birthtub mostly or the bathroom. In the bathroom, I passed most contractions by standing/squatting with my hands on my knees rocking. In the tub, I was leaning on the step stool rocking.

Around 3:30PM, they started edging close and about 4PM Ben asked if we should call the midwife. Yes. I warned her on the phone that we were having some heavier rains close to us and she appreciated having the time to drive carefully. She packed up the supplies that she doesn't keep in the car and was over by about 10 till 5.

I still wasn't sure how much longer I would be. The water hadn't broken, but the contractions were about 2 minutes apart. I had started puking mildly while she was on her way (Ben floated a bowl in the pool and rinsed it when the contraction/heaving ended). It wasn't bad, just through every other contraction for a few minutes. Then, while sitting on the toilet, I heaved and the waterbag exploded under me! I had been thinking that there should be some relief, but the baby must have been pushed right in place.

As I was hobbling/contracting toward the birth tub, the waters suddenly leaked past the head ("I thought she was housebroken," Ben teased). Then, I got down on my hands and knees and felt 'heavy' (like needing to BM...) and decided to push a bit. It felt alright, just tight like my last baby, so I continued. I raised up on one knee and felt to make sure the head was there and to give support, and pushed. I asked Ben to help me stretch and pushed again and her head popped out. I called out, "Kids!" because they wanted to see the birth, the girls both came running in. I decided there was no way I could catch on my own because she felt big and leaned forward and told Ben to catch and she burst out and wailed! I could only see her bits from my view at first and announced that we have a girl. TJ popped in for a look and went back to his game on the computer.

Our midwife had told us of an experiment in self-attachment that we thought we'd go ahead and try out. Basically, the baby is placed on Mother's belly and allowed to find his/her own way to the nipple. This seemed somewhat fascinating and perhaps a good stimulant for nursing and for baby's brain. Apparently, there's something about a woman's unwashed areola that smell similar to the amniotic fluid. The baby sucks/smells its own hands and heads for the similar smell.

So, when I was uncomfortable on the bathroom floor and sure the children had begun welcoming sister -and ran off on their merry way- I moved over to the bed and put Clarice on my belly. She pushed with her feet (massaging my shrinking belly, maybe it's good for me, too!) and lolled/rolled side to side pushing herself up towards my chest and backwards towards my arm. She got her head right on my right breast and slowly turned from her hands and attached herself with a great latch! She nursed like a champ right from the beginning, wailing if I moved too much and latching back on for more.

Around 7:30PM, I decided it was time for the newborn measures and the midwife and her assistant did those right on my bed next to me. I watched to know the numbers and then went for my first bathroom break. When I came back, I sat and nursed her more. She fell asleep around 8PM. I made a few phone calls and Ben brought me food.

A little later, I handed her over to Ben. BB was exhausted and I usually get her ready for bed, so we tried. My dinner was ready -I'd really wanted stew- and when she saw me eating, she wanted to go and eat, too. That was fine, Clarice was fussing and I took her back. She nursed a long time. When we were tired, the midwife took our vitals and let us get to bed. I still haven't gotten to sleep. Listening to a new baby for breath seems to keep me preoccupied for a while. I'm heading to sleep now. I'll take pictures and hopefully post them tomorrow!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    By Anonymous Sarah, at 10:51 PM  

  • Congratulations Jennifer and family! What a great birth story - thanks for sharing it! Welcome to the world Clarice. :-)

    By Anonymous Michele Q., at 8:04 AM  

  • jennifer,

    what a lovely birth story! congratulations. can't wait to see pictures. i love the part about self attachement. wish i'd thought of that for my last birth. God bless you and your family.

    caroline in ny

    By Anonymous caroline, at 9:07 AM  

  • Congratulations, and thank you for telling your wonderful story! What a beautiful family you have!

    By Anonymous Annie T, at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home