Full of Stitches

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sweet Beginnings

I've been shampoo-free for almost 2 months. For those that have asked, start slowly! I worked from every day to every other day over several months, and it took me a couple years to do once or twice a week. Most days, I love how my hair is now. It does seem a bit heavier from the natural oils that stay in it. Because of those oils, I have to wash my comb more often -lint sticks a bit, but I've found a gentle combing in the shower gets most of that out as well as massaging my scalp.

I was asked, "Would you start washing again?" Yes, and no. I don't plan on using the regular bottled tonics ("shampoo" and "conditioner") any more. I do plan on trying out some natural homemade recipes.

For example, it's been some time since I bought any facial products. After this insane outbreak week, I was blog hopping and happened to read about someone harvesting her honey. Of course, now I can't find the post. Anyway, I remembered telling Ben that I wanted to take care of my skin better (haunting voice in back of mind, saying of his spouse, "(specific person) has aged well, but I wish she'd taken better care of her skin." He had enjoyed his wife's beauty in her youth, and hoped that she would continue aging well, but she'd not cared for her skin and now he was losing something he had enjoyed (the rest of the relationship tells the story that the looks don't really matter, but it would have been a bonus). Perhaps, if I start now, I'll save my husband some of that heart ache.

So, tonight I put honey on my face and let it sit (like a mask), then washed it off. It was weird, it tingled. And, it dripped off my nose, but that's my fault. My skin feels softer already. I'm sure if I ever slept that would help, too. Hmm.. yeah, bedtime. Good night!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I haven't taken the plunge for my hair and still use shampoo and conditioner, but only once a week. But - and in case you haven't tried it yet, I only use oil for cleansing my skin and no commercial products. It's wonderful. It's called OCM (oil cleansing method). I used a mixture of olive oil and castor oil and while I used to have horrible irritated red skin, now it's soft and wonderful. Here is a link to an explanation about this method - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5612

    Natalija

    By Anonymous Natalija, at 6:31 PM  

  • I'm about ready for the next post on my hair. After going camping, I washed and conditioned it and it seems so fragile now! The natural oils really protect the hair follicles! I haven't decided on my whole routine yet, but I have jojoba oil and that's pretty much what I use in my hair. I massage some into my scalp and it loosens the dirt and particles (I actually learned this trick to get rid of baby's cradle cap).

    Thanks for the tip on skincare! I've been looking for something. I just bought a bar of "olive oil and honey" soap which is neat, leaves the skin feeling softer (from the honey), but isn't quite as moisturizing as just liquid oil would be. I may play with the combination EVOO/CO/honey to get a nice conditioning cleanser!

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home