Full of Stitches

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sweetly Parting

A few weeks ago, I decided not to buy any more white sugar.

I love to bake.

Can these two passions coexist?

Last weekend, some friends went out of town. They didn't want to leave anything to go bad and amongst the 'treasures' they left us with was some sugar (albeit white "dried cane juice") and some honey that had granules started. I like to make the most of things, so I immediately worked at making tasty goodies. Ben and Jeremy grated the carrots and we made muffins (honey) and carrot cake (sugar) and started some carrot bread. I made cookies (sugar), too.

Within a day or two, my acne had flared like mad! I've always had some, but I didn't really know how linked it was to my diet! Thinking back, it always changed when my hormones did, but was it because I devoured sweets more then?

I'm continuing my low sugar experiment. I'm still using sucanat in place of regular sugars, but am actively seeking recipes without sugar now.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Hi, Sweetums,

    I have tried various diet modifications over the years and I have found three problems associated with eating a diet unbalanced toward simple carbs: acid reflux, canker sores, and flatulence. I completely support your decision to get off refined sugars. Keep your carbs complex and close to nature and you will enjoy fewer discomforts that could develop into something more serious over time.

    Love, Poppa

    By Anonymous Poppa, at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home