Full of Stitches

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Motivation

I love to work with my hands. Oh, you noticed? Well, I'll focus on sewing today.

I like making things for myself and others that are useful in some manner. When I started cloth diapering again with AJ, I bought candy pink fabric and made her a bunch of medium-sized diapers. When I was pregnant with BB, a friend and I went garage saling to find good material for another batch (needed small and large diapers). I try to at least occasionally make myself a dress -I like them good and long. I make my girls' dresses out of a need. It is difficult to find a dress of a good length that a child can actually 'grow into' any more!

I have trouble motivating myself to sew for someone who I know well, and especially for the males in my life. I've sewn my husband one pair of pants (cords) and a shirt in all the time we've been married. For my son, I occasionally make him a shirt. Perhaps part is that I just don't see a need there. They can easily find clothes to cover them appropriately, whereas the girls are often faced with wearing slips as dresses and/or showing their behinds when leaning over to play.

Fair-skinned girls, like mine, find it necessary to cover their skin, even in summer. That means Momma needs to make them light-weight garments with sleeves. I'm not suffering them alone, instead I'm making up my wardrobe and allowing theirs to follow suit. Wovens are much cooler than knits. A little elastic or ties helps make them fit, if needed, but dresses can generally be made nice and loose.

I'm not keeping points, but do like to look back and see some sort of production. So, I'm considering tallying what I make each month. Those days when I feel I can't accomplish anything, maybe it'll balance out to see what I did do.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I make boxers for my fellas. Hubby and the boys. They don't get much else but they always have Me-made undie-wears (as my 6 year old calls them) I have made Keith several dress shirts and he really needs a couple more now that he has put on a couple pounds but the boxers are always a hit and always get well worn.

    I totally agree about girl clothes. It is so hard to find dresses with any growing room. MJ is still wearing dresses that I made her a year ago. I just make them ankle length to begin with. Now that she's out of diapers most of the day, she easily fits into everything again. Girls are kind of easy that way. I don't have to worry about her not having a diaper to keep her jeans on the way I did with the boys.

    I try to keep some sort of log in my iCal about what I sew and what I buy in the way of fabric and notions. This month has been pretty productive. In the past 3 weeks I have made a pair of panties, a dress and a swimsuit for MJ and a swimsuit cover-up for my mom. I am abotu done with a muslin for a maternity dress for me (I need more than 2 things to wear to church in rotation) and I need to make 3 more swimsuits by next weekend. Thankfully I am really in a sewing mood lately. Must be the nesting thing.

    I sure have been chatty on your blog lately. I should be half so chatty on my own. Maybe I should just put a link on mine so people can come here to read my rambling ;)

    Blessings,
    Lindsey in AL

    By Anonymous Lindsey in AL, at 11:51 AM  

  • Hi, Sweetums,

    Speaking of handiwork: Your mother just finished her latest quilt and put it on our bed. That makes about three layers of quilts on it, at present (it hit 100F here yesterday and tied the old temp record for this date). This quilt is actually for us and looks really nice (sort of reminds me of French Impressionist art). She is using her new embroidary machine to add the names of the flowers on the quilt she is making for Miss A. I think it is to be for her birthday so keep it under your hat.

    I haven't made anything lately; I've been busy killing weeds. Call it reverse creativity; the only good goathead is a dead goathead. The kill priority is first goathead (burrweed), second Canadian thistle, and third bindweed. Truce is declared with all other greenery unless the Russian thistle (tumbleweed) gets out of hand. I can tolerate the Italian rye because it helps keep the goathead down. If anything that is actually a native CO plant came up this year, I haven't id'd it.

    The combination of summer heat and greater than usual rainfall has been a boon to the weeds and mosquitoes this year. A couple of times the bug zapper has accumulated an overnight coating of "skeeters" that must number in the thousands of terminally improved blood suckers.

    Love, Poppa

    By Anonymous Poppa, at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home