Full of Stitches

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bicycles

I'm getting frustrated with lack of exercise. Sure, it's my own fault. I generally don't get going unless there's a goal. So, to get up early just to run around the block (and anyone in the area knows how dangerous that is! Monthly, if not closer to weekly, there are news reports about people getting run over while walking across the street *in a crosswalk* *with the walk-signal*). There's that, and the job-hours. If Ben were home, and awake with the children (or the children were sleeping), and I had a goal....

A new library branch is opening only a mile from my house.

So, if we're going to go against the odds and put our lives in danger, it may as well be at a good clip. Right? We have a bike trailer. And bikes that don't fit the riders. And a few mismatched helmets. So that leaves us with just the minor issues. Like, the baby. Have you ever noticed that most trailers and bike mounted seats are for toddlers and up. The child has to be able to a) wear a helmet, and b) keep it's head up whilst wearing the huge thing. That means that generally speaking, one doesn't bicycle with baby for at least a good year!

So, Ben asks, "What do all those crazy bike-riding Canadians do to get their babies home from the hospital?" I'm not sure, I'll ask. (edited to add: Her answer was what I told him originally, just have the baby at home! Those who go to the hospital generally take a cab home)

But, here's the answer from the Netherlands. They just attach the carseat to the rack!

I may have to wait till she fits in a regular bike seat.. or AJ can ride well enough to ride alongside. I don't know if I'd get up a hill with baby on bike and a 3 & 5yo in the trailer! Haha.. I could always try!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home