Full of Stitches

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Chocolate Beet Brownies?

Yes, I said, "Beet."

And, they were good, too. I should have taken a picture! I based them on this recipe that was copied and had the link on the CSA recipe page.

I forgot to 'mash' the beets in the blender, they were mostly small chunks instead. And, I ground some wheat fresh, so I used a cup of that and a cup of 'regular' (white whole wheat by King Arthur) flour instead of the flour and wheat germ called for. I spaced the nuts entirely.. And, I think I beat the eggs a touch too long because I had to skin the beets that had just finished cooking -super simple, just rinse the beets to cool them in the pan and keep the cold water running, under the water pinch/rub off the skins; they come off really easily and didn't stain my fingers that way!

I'm out of chocolate again, and ate half the remaining beets, so can't make this again soon enough! I finally found out what my Mom was trying to explain when I was a child -fresh beets are really good! There wasn't that bitterness I remember, certainly a beet flavor, but sweetly so. In the brownies, they reminded me of cherries, and J- suggested cranberries.

Definitely try this odd recipe!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home