Full of Stitches

Friday, October 12, 2007

Pumpkin Pie

Yesterday, I bought a Cinderella pumpkin and used it to hold my stew (Mom's recipe.. I can't say more currently.. can't even write the name..). We had a nice potluck. Afterward, I brought home my pumpkin and began chopping it up. For the stew, I had baked the pumpkin for an hour. Well, this pumpkin is so thick that had hardly cooked it! Out came the steamer pot. Mine is a nice double-steamer that Dad gave me in England. I filled the first layer with pumpkin, filled the second layer with pumpkin, put that in the fridge. Found some containers and filled them with pumpkin and went to bed.

At that point, I hadn't cut up half the pumpkin.

This morning, I boiled the water in the pot and pulled out the steamers. They went for most of an hour and then I switched the layers so the top could cook better. I mixed my sour dough starter and ran out of flour... and walked to the store.

When I came home, the pumpkin was perfectly cooked. I pulled it off and finished my sourdough starter (it's been going for about 2 weeks, soon I shall have sourdough!).

I pulled the half cooked pumpkin from the fridge and finished cubing it. Staring at all that pumpkin.. I searched for "pumpkin honey" online. First up, Pumpkin Honey Pie. Sounds good! Searched for a crust. Found several, but not exactly what i was looking for. So, for today, it was about 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cold butter -cubed, 1/2 tsp salt, ~4Tbsp cold water. Mixed and stuck that in the fridge while I made the pie filling.

Once the pie was in the oven, I surveyed the kitchen. Needful of storage containers, I loaded and ran the dishwasher. Out came the old red check cookbook (mine's about a 1983) and I flipped through the index. 'Squash' was mainly side dishes, so to 'pumpkin' I looked.

I whipped together Pumpkin Bars.. Though, they call for Cream Cheese Frosting and I'm out of powdered sugar.. Then it was on to Pumpkin Drop Cookies! Oops, out of raisins, but I can live with that.

Pause for Banana Smoothies.

Ben called. He's coming home! We've mainly seen him as he left for work (or snoozed in the mornings) since last weekend. I think he made it in by 2AM this morning, one of the earlier nights.

Baby's fed, time to make Macaroni and Cheese. Not Kraft, a real mac 'n cheese casserole.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home