Full of Stitches

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wardrobe Building

I'm somewhat tough on my clothes, but I try to make them last as long as they can. I went to the closet the other day, though, and stood there. I waited for something brilliant and flattering to jump into my hands and realized that it's just not there right now. I put on something that 'worked' and started my other duties.

Later, I remembered S.W.A.P.: Sewing With A Plan. Autumn and winter are coming on and I'll be heavy with child in the depth of it. So, I've come up with a maternity SWAP (I pencil drew or traced these, then scanned, sorry it's hard to see).

img swapdrawn

And, while I was looking for ideas on the wardrobe, I came across 'capsule' sewing. It's a mini-wardrobe of 4-5 pieces instead of the full 11. And, there's a capsule contest over on Pattern Review. I don't know if I'll make all 3-4 pieces I need as the minimums by Saturday, but we can see if I can swing one or two more this week... hahaha!

Item 1: the peasant blouse: I made it longer to be a nightgown for when the baby arrives (why did I choose white for when a baby comes? Am I mad?). I may shorten it and make the nightgown from a more reasonable fabric and be able to wear this as a blouse over skirts, too.
img peasant blouse

I also changed the nursing openings a bit. The original called for the nursing panel to be seamed into the center front so the nursing openings could just be left unsewn; I simply cut it on as a whole and added knife pleats. So, then the top of the center panel was loose and I left it hanging while I finished the rest. I folded the pleats and sewed the top inch or so together, basted the edge of the pleat opening there in place so it wouldn't catch the ribbon/elastic when I fed that through.
img MMTfrontimg MMTinside

The pics show the outside and inside with the right hand opening of each open, left-hand closed to show what I did. The binding is from an old pillow case, I thought the 'nude' was a good color to use under the pleats, a slight off-white or just the white would have been fine.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home