Full of Stitches

Saturday, February 09, 2019

Not A Body Double



Ages ago, my husband helped me to make a duct tape body copy to use as a dress form. Sadly, when we moved the thing didn’t make it intact. Since then, I have just been trying to finagle clothes to fit with adjustments that don’t always work. A couple years back, I came across a company that sells patterns for dress forms based on actual body dimensions! Finally, this week, I asked hubs to help measure me and ordered the form.

Yesterday, the dress form took form... and what a form she took! That is not my shape. I measured her. I measured me. We do not match.

First issue, the one that brought the issue to my attention, is that the peaks on that mountain range tower into the clouds (compared to me). The measurement from the center back neck to the apex point matches correctly. However, the lower edge is too deep. What did I measure wrong? Well, I think I tightened the tape measure as if fitting a bra. That made the underbust measure an inch or so too tight. The other thing is that the back measure is not clear what is being measured. I suggested that maybe it’s side seam to side seam, but hubs measured between the creases to be from (the back of) armpit to armpit. *His measuring was correct according to the correspondence from the company.

Second issue, the underbust line is too low. How far is it from the apex to the band measurement? On the dress form, that is three inches full of the giant slopes. On me? Two inches. This distance was not asked for by the company.

Third issue, or it may tie into or cause the second, is that the waist seam is NOT where it should be. Sure, it looks balanced on the form, but I’m not shaped like that. The hip line is correct compared to where the bust line is, but I am blessed with my Mom’s “short waist” which is over an inch above where this program placed it. This distance WAS asked for, but was NOT placed correctly.

What to do? It’s the weekend, I emailed Customer Service, and I’m waiting for a reply... In the interim, I’m black box testing the software. On their website, you can enter all the measurements, then request “Get A Free Preview.” Go through the checkout, and in a few (5-20] minutes, you receive a CG rendering of what it deciphers you to look like in your skivvies.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home