Full of Stitches

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Bridging the Gore

 Since my bra sewing adventure began, my fit models have changed shape. I started this not long after finishing breastfeeding my youngest baby, who is now school-aged. The internal factories have shut down, and downsized. In my last post, I expressed how my initial thoughts in bra sizing were being proven wrong. And, now I have some other helpful fit tips to use.

I have been sewing the Lansdowne bra because the shape is closer to anything that fits me from the rack. Last night, I printed off the Devonshire bridge and compared it to the Lansdowne bridge.



Turns out, this is why they say this bra is supposed to produce cleavage, the center gore is trimmed to a narrower width. Next, I cut a copy of the Devonshire bridge without any seam allowances from poster board.



And, then I chopped it in half. I took that and trimmed a bit off each side until I could fit the bridge against my chest.




The photo shows just how narrow the gap is… only about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch (6-9 mm). So, if I directly compare that to the Lansdowne… It will show that the Lansdowne bridge is wider than what I need normally.


Also, I think that the pulling together of the bridge makes it taller, and rotates the cups… Will that cause more issues if I make the bra with a bridge that fits me? 


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home