Full of Stitches

Sunday, July 02, 2023

Maris, First Go


One of the Bra Sewing Bee sew alongs uses the Maris pattern. I would like to get close to a good fit so that what I sew next month actually might fit me. It just uses the underwear pattern, but it doesn’t hurt to practice fitting the top, too.

Let’s follow the fitting chart: measure ribcage, 32.5” = Medium. Measure full bust, 40”, difference is 7.5” = E/F cup. Okay, but doubts are in my mind already. How about the bottoms? Hip 41”? Maybe 42”? I”m usually one size larger for my trousers than my t-shirts, large.

How well does it fit? Not well, might be close… Next go, I’ll size the bra up to a large, the back and elastic band need more width. The shoulder strap is pressing into my shoulder, it’s just way too wide. The cup seam may be too far out to the side. The cups seem loose.

If I just made the next larger band size, I would have to size down the cup letters to get the about same size cup: medium E/F is about the size of large C/D. I’m going up a band size, but also want to go down a cup size to try the difference. So, next try should be a Large A/B. If that’s too small, I’ll have to shorten then Large C/D cups to fit my short chest.

How about the thong? Not horrible, but the elastic is a touch tight. I’ll try the XL. If the band fits and the crotch length is too long, then I might just need to keep the Large size and use the XL elastic length.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home