Full of Stitches

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Modest Appeal

I finally went and purchased this swimwear pattern from BiblicalWomanhood.com (not affiliated, just sharing the link). There are several more pictures on the testimonials page. I've been thinking about buying one since I first saw it last summer (edit: this is the pattern I saw previously: Swimwear Solutions -depending on the look/make of the other, I may get this one in *my* size). AJ had been asking me for a swim dress, so now she'll finally have one!

This morning, I came across The Modesty Survey (as described in this blog entry). I wish someone had taken the time to explain that how a woman or girl dresses is a powerful influence on men, and especially to emphasize the positive influence of dressing modestly.. and to have been an influence that I greatly cared for and respected in the years preceeding and leading into my own physical maturation! I only hope that I can set a good example for my own 3 girls and remember to take the time to explain it to them as they grow!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • "I wish someone had taken the time..."

    I did. You said, "That's their problem." You are following your mother's life pattern: An immodest youth, a modest adulthood, and an expectation that you will influence your children to not make your mistakes over again.

    Love ya, Sweetums.

    By Anonymous Poppa, at 4:24 AM  

  • Perhaps my parents didn't realise that 15 is a little late for beginning teachings on modesty? And that Daddy watching shows like "Married With Children" and checking out every bust or tush that waggled by influences his children more than his once in a decade speech. Or, maybe because I was #4, it was assumed that I learned something that may or may not have been mentioned (not taught, they certainly didn't follow the goal either) too my older sisters?

    Instead of degrading me and your wife on our similarities, would you have the decency to help me influence the future generations of your family toward better things? Your mind and moral vaues are a secret to me. I'm lost in my role as mother because I wasn't taught to be one. I'm lost in how to influence others for the better because I was taught all my life only by these snide, hurtful remarks on what I've done wrong.

    Is there any goood in me, Father?

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 4:59 AM  

  • Yikes, I didn't mean to touch a nerve there! Your brother calls me from time to time to tell me my shortcomings as a parent. I guess you need to do the same.

    By Anonymous Poppa, at 5:27 AM  

  • I guess I hadn't realized that I *had* a nerve there. I think, though, that it was my sister who said, "That's their problem." If I did, it was following in her glow. That and comparing me to Mom..

    I know I'm a great deal like her, I'm a lot like you, too.

    That's what the counselor is for.

    ;)

    By Anonymous Administrator, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home