Full of Stitches

Friday, May 11, 2007

How It Feels

Mastitis. It's almost a dirty word in the lactating community. What is it? An inflamation of the breast, maybe an infection.

The last few days, I've been busier than usual. Tuesday, we had friends come to swim - had a blast, didn't get a nap. Wednesday and Thursday, I would up driving to the store, and Thursday night is 'small group' Bible study. Usually, I'm at home all day, with maybe 2-3 times a week making a quick errand (ie. walking to the local grocer).

At some point yesterday, my hands felt achy. I thought perhaps it was caused by knitting too much -I've only just picked it up again from before Cow was born. But, last night I started getting the telltale tender spot as I was readying for bed. BB had only had one side that morning and the other before bed.. She tries to usually nurse 2-4 times a day, both sides. And Cow was exhausted from staying awake through Bible study and wanted me to put her straight to bed without nursing more! Believe me, I tried to change her mind! I told Ben that it seemed like I was coming down with mastitis and I'll be resting tomorrow.

This morning, I awoke and picked up Cow to pee her, and my lower back twinged. Perhaps it was bad posture? She nursed fine from the sore side, though. Then BB also helped relieve the pressure.

At 'naptime', Cow was super fussy again! So, in the ABC she went. I sat at the sewing machine and worked on swimwear. Suddenly my spine began to feel like it was heating up. I thought first that maybe Cow has a fever coming on. She was in a good place, though, if she were getting sick. She can rest there and when she wakes feed and then I could determine what's wrong.'

AJ needed help next. I stood up and suddenly my I had tingles and numbness where I sit. Again, I attributed it to something else; I could have pinched a nerve... The next time I stood up, it happened again. I began to put the pieces together. The heat in my spine is *mine* not from her. The weird numbing is because of that. I took her off my back. peed her, and lay down in bed.

The ache is in my shoulders and back and feet. It's mild mostly, the fever is slowly gaining, and another nap should help. Cow just fell asleep again. If I can put her in bed and let BB have at, we should make it fine until Ben comes home.

If it happens to you, rest and nurse. Until all aches are gone and there's no more soreness: rest and nurse. If you have a busy schedule, apologize for the inconvenience, but go to bed and take the baby with you (s/he's much more efficient than a pump).

Honey, if you're reading this, I'm not cooking tonight. Would you bring home pizza?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home