Full of Stitches

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Jeans Skirt

I finally feel productive!

It's funny, no matter how many times I clean, I have to do it again. No matter how much I cook, I just have to do it again! But, whenever I sew, I have something that I can use over and over again. Sure, I'll sew again, and something quite similar, but that will last me a year or two minimum.. generally.. as long as the children don't have scissors.. or I don't use the bleach..

I was recently gifted 4 pairs of jeans. These don't fit me (too small) and I don't generally wear jeans any more, so I did a web search. I found 2 tutorials that pointed me in the right direction.
I started off trying to sew the center front seam flat.. I should know better! It's even commented on here on notMartha, if I'd read before starting..), so I tried again. I grabbed the other pair of a close colour and got snipping. This time I used the info on savvyseams and opened up the back really close to the yoke in center back. This worked out great because there just wasn't room for my ..um.. matronly rump without that.. (Hey, they're size 2S! But, because they're low-riders, the waist fits above my hips, I just had to relieve the squeeze).

First, I sewed the upper side seam of the craptastic first attempt straighter, then laid that on the jeans front sides up and pinned it for the triangle. Pin, twist, pin, fold, pin, stitch...
Then, repeat for rear. I only had so much fabric, so I matched the bottom hems and smoothed the fabric to work for me from there.
img front skirtimg skirt back
I want to do the tiered style for AJ's skirts someday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home