Full of Stitches

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Maternity skirt.

img new skirt img waistband

See Mommy Sew has a great tutorial on making a maternity skirt. The only thing I did different was to put the skirt together first, then make & attach the waistband (then I ran off to orientation wearing my unhemmed skirt), then finished the hemming. This minimized thread changes ('cause, yes, I had two different purple threads that matched my two different purple fabrics!).

img patternsused

I used the McCall's skirt pattern as a base for shape -not cut on the bias. The pants pattern (from 1979, thank you Grandpa!) has a nice pocket shaping that I often use for my skirts. The waistband is 7" by 31" (my current waist measurement -yes, I've gained 3" already). The 3" elastic is also 31" (no added seam allowance). I cut the skirt out 2 sizes larger than needed to give extra room to grow, and that had to be gathered a bit to fit the waistband.

img pocket

All in all, I am enjoying my new skirt!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Very pretty - Purple is my favorite color!

    By Anonymous Teresa, at 11:48 PM  

  • Very nice! Love the pockets....that's my least favorite part about maternity clothing...no pockets! Do you they think pregnant women don't have keys! :) hmmm...maybe I should do pockets for the ones in my shop.

    By Anonymous Kristin, at 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home