Full of Stitches

Monday, January 05, 2009

Pulling My Doll Hair!

I get sidetracked easily. Especially when I'm under the weather (and I have been since the 1st!), so I've been couch directing the children and crocheting. I've got an idea stewing for those chess pieces, just have to work and write it out..

Then I came across a doll pattern and have been focused on that to let the other idea stew nicely. She's cute and cuddly, but I'd like to make a more pocket-sized version, so I'm working her in thread. I started following the pattern for the legs (but didn't do her jogless stripes this time) and instead of making them smaller at the top, I made them wider. I mean, aren't yours? Then, I simply joined the legs in the round and started in on the body. I was working on the shorts and thought since I'd joined the legs, I might as well join the arms.. But then I'd need to do the arms first so that I can just decrease with the body for the shoulders.. Then I thought, no, I'll just start the head and continue on the body, increasing for the shoulders and split it in three for arms and body. That's when it hit me that I don't have any eyes this small (unless I want to embroider them), and that I ought to connect the hair, too, before I close off the head.

img doll legs

So, I started looking for hair ideas. I googled, I scanned the listings and came up with a few ideas. Generally, there seems to be the idea that latchhooking the yarn on is okay (though I remember my share of piles of yarn that I'd pulled out of simple knots like that). I read on a Ravelry page that a fellow Ravelrer's doll has 8 strands knotted together with 2 strands pulled through at the hairline and 1 strand through the back (so with the knot in the middle, I figure that puts the hair going out a minimum of 8 holes?). NeedleNoodles.com has a page on how to add fringe hair (broomstick lace/chain style) to heads. Owly has an Amigurumi hair tutorial -heavy on the pics for us visual learners! As well as a link to a step-by-step of long hair on flickr! ClipClip has a tutorial on several styles of amigurumi hair. There are some that make wigs just of crochet, and others that teach a basic curling technique. And, that prompted a memory of a bear pattern I'd pulled out of a Family Circle magazine (11/2/93) that used the Loop Stitch to make the fur.

Well, that's a whole bunch to try out! Maybe I should make a basic doll recipe to try all these out on!?

Loop st: Insert hook into next st, wrap yarn from back to front around left index finger, keeping it in front of work, yo; pull yarn through st; slip loop off finger; adjust size of loop by gently pulling yarn. Hold loop in place with middle finger, wrap yarn around hook; draw yarn through all 3 lps on hook.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home